Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The PAINful Start

So for the last few months I have been unhappy about my fitness level and weight...I am the heaviest I have ever been! I need goals to stay in shape, I don't know why just being healthy or to live longer for the kids is not enough. It's just not. A few years back I did adventure races and that was what kept me in shape. I had to do it or die during the event. I guess the motivation of shelling out a few hundred made it more real. For me eating bad and lack of exercise go hand in mouth. When I run I don't want to eat like crap, when I sit on the couch I eat like crap, because whats the point, right.

My friend that I usually do adventure races with needs the motivation as well, but we have not been able to get together to commit on a race in the last 2 years. I am not blaming him. I am still the one who is fat and gets winded way to easy now.

With that in mind I have been thinking of doing something I don't need a friend to enter, yet still have a goal to shoot for. Now a goal of losing 33 pounds is a good goal, but not a reason to lose it. I have always loved the Ironman races but who has time to train for a 140.6 mile race. Not me. It takes a lot of time which I dont seem to have. Ironman also has a half race or 70.3 that I believe I can do. 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride, and 13.1 mile run. When I did the last few adventure races we did 8 -10 mile of kayaking 40 -50 miles of mountain biking, and 15 or so miles of walking/runnning/bushwacking all the while finding our way with a map and compass. Most of the extra miles were on account of me getting us lost.

In theory I should be able to turn this into an Ironman...right.

My main problem is I cant swim a mile point two. Plus I am seriously out of shape (photo to come)

I entered the race yesterday. The cash motovation has been taken care of. I started to move in an exersizing way. Here I come California Ironman!

Follow this short fat weekend warrior on his way to 70.3

2 comments:

  1. Yeah Craig! I'm excited for you. And I soooo know you can do it! Feel free to come swim at our pool until the end of July any time you want. - Jude

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jude. I will take you up on the pool

    ReplyDelete